Tuesday, April 20, 2010

First prototype



Just bought a second hand Peavey TG Raxx preamp on the internet. For this first test I connected the TG Raxx with an I2C controlled tone IC TDA7419 instead of the front controls. Optocoupler devices I don;t like because of accuracy and I don't like relays, they might fail when they are old.


So after defining the I2C map of the TDA4719 in my control software, I control the tone IC with my laptop. I had to replace the first tube with a 12AU7 type because the tone IC was clipping. But the rest of the circuit is rather straight forward. I could power the tone IC with the TG raxx itself.


Everthing under controll and no strange noise. By the way, the TG Raxx has a nice feature, DC current through the filaments. I also want that in my amp!

This setup sounds very clean, the TG raxx is from its own a clean preamp. Wit hthe 12AU7 it is even more clean. Sounds good with my Gretsch 6120SSU-GR Setzer Nashville guitar.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent! Any chance you could share your diagram as to how you have the TDA7419 hooked up?

    I've built a project using one, and the test circuit works but the IC itself seems to be generating a lot of noise, even when muted, and I'm trying to get rid of it.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete